1. Entertainment

2012 About.com World Music Readers' Choice Awards — Vote Now!

By February 21, 2012

The 2012 About.com World Music Readers' Choice Awards are hereby officially in the voting phase! With hundreds of nominations garnered from readers around the globe, the finalists were tallied and I hereby present to you the esteemed nominees (note: there are eight categories -- scroll down to see them all!). The rules are simple: one vote per user per category per day, so come back and vote often. Voting ends March 21. Now, without further ado:

POLLS ARE CLOSED FOR 2012. VOTE IN THE 2013 AWARDS!

And don't forget to visit the rest of the 2012 About.com Readers' Choice Awards for more info and oodles of other categories to vote in, from food and travel to houswares and more!

Comments

February 23, 2012 at 10:30 am
(1) Ron Ozer says:

Doesn;’t work on Chrome Browser

February 23, 2012 at 11:58 am
(2) Eric says:

Radio M on Chicago Public Radio should be on that list for Best World Music Show!!

February 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(3) GiorgioNYC says:

I can’t believe Rootsworld isn’t one of the selections under best websites.

February 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm
(4) MeganRomerWorldMusic says:

The poll modules should work in Chrome — you might try clearing your cache and trying again; that usually works for me, though I haven’t the foggiest idea what it actually means — push buttons until the problem’s solved! That’s my motto!

As for the other two comments, yes, Radio M is wonderful and RootsWorld is one of my favorite websites. The finalists were chosen from a straight tally of nominations, though, and the names you see in the polls were those that had the most nominations. Nothing sinister. Odds are good that we’ll do this again next year, and when we do, you should definitely stop by during the nomination phase and enter your favorites!

February 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm
(5) chris nolan says:

that Festival au Desert in Timbuktu happens at all should give it the award for the best world music festival. If you like Tinariwen, Habib Koite, Bassekou Koyate, Khaira Arby and all the other absolutely fantastic musicians from West Africa, Europe and the US who have made it to perform in the sands of the Sahara, vote for Festival au Desert as the best world music festival!

February 24, 2012 at 7:56 am
(6) DJ mps PILOT says:

The Festival au Desert needs this support! Chris is definetely right.

February 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm
(7) Bob says:

I would have liked to have seen Rob Weisberg’s amazing “Transpacific Paradise” show on WFMU in the running for Best World Music Radio Show. It’s my favorite addiction!

February 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm
(8) Greg Landry says:

Doesn’t work on Chrome browser. Says I’m logged in to my About account, then when I vote, tells me I must enter an e-mail address or log in to my About account.

February 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm
(9) MeganRomerWorldMusic says:

For those of you who are having Chrome issues, our tech team suggests clearing your browser cache and trying again. Also, note that each poll category is, from a tech standpoint, an individual “module,” and you have to sign in to each one individually. If you’re signed in through facebook, it should automatically sign you into all of them at once.

February 24, 2012 at 8:26 pm
(10) Med says:

Festival in the Desert is the best !!!!

February 29, 2012 at 10:01 pm
(11) Karenatasha says:

Why not best world music podcast? I vote for Caipirinha Appreciation Society!

March 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(12) Alex says:

just voted for Afropop in both categories using Chrome! no prob.

March 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm
(13) bobdc says:

No problem with Chrome here.

I couldn’t vote for best record label because the best label wasn’t listed: Sublime Frequencies.

March 10, 2012 at 8:29 am
(14) pc says:

I don’t get the idea of voting everyday. what’s the angle?

March 15, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(15) Mark Gorney says:

Nothing against Afropop but I don’t understand why they are in the lead when they don’t cover European, Indian, Asian, North American or Australasian music.. The award is for best -world music- site, and as I think we all know there is a lot more to world music than African, Afro-Latin and Afro-Caribbean. Again, absolutely no disrespect to AW (love them), but they have their focus.

March 15, 2012 at 4:09 pm
(16) worldmusic says:

Well, they have the lead because they have the most votes, but I think you knew that already. :)

That said the category description, as taken from the original nominations page, is as such:

“In this digital age, a lot of us learn about new music (or our old favorites, for that matter) from the web. There are thousands upon thousands of websites about world music, from huge broad-spectrum sites that cover all of world music to tiny niche sites that cover every aspect of a little-known genre, artist, or instrument. Which site do you find yourself visiting again and again?”

It was never a contest as to who can include the broadest spectrum of information, just a matter of which website, related to world music in any given way, is best.

You can read all of the category descriptions here:

March 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm
(17) Jeff Hush says:

Afropop Worldwide has incredible radio shows and one of the most exciting websites in the world. The thing I really love about all the work Afropop does is that both entertainment and information are combined in such a beautiful mix. I have discovered more exciting artists and more different styles of music by listening to Afropop than I have from anywhere else. They bring us the world. Music rules.

March 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm
(18) elizabeth says:

vote for festival international de louisiane, the only free 4 day music festival. Come visit us for our wonderful food and music!

March 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm
(19) butterfly says:

HELLO MEGAN!

I feel that Bassekou Kouyate is blocked for some reason…….. we are 10 people here and vote allday and he’s still on 32%…. that can’t be right!

March 21, 2012 at 4:16 pm
(20) Megan Romer - World Music says:

Bassekou is definitely not blocked — we are seeing HUGE numbers of votes in that category, with the nominees each getting more and more votes every day. Every vote counts, but with the total numbers at this point, 10 votes is not enough to change the percentage points.

March 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm
(21) charlie says:

Shame that you couldn’t include Christian Mousset’s Musiques Metisses that takes place in Angouleme France in April or May in the “best festival” slot. It’s the best and the most unique festival of music from Africa and the French speaking world that I’ve been to. Mousset has kept it going despite severe budgetary restriction, and the line up this year is phenomenal. http://www.musiques-metisses.com/programme

March 21, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(22) Megan Romer - World Music says:

The nominees were decided after a lengthy public nomination process, where readers and fans from around the world entered their favorites. Those five festivals got the most nominations. Definitely be sure to enter Musiques Metisses next year when the nomination phase opens! Sign up for the world music newsletter (upper right-hand corner of your screen) and you’ll see lots of announcements when the nominations open!

March 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm
(23) butterfly says:

THANX for your answer Megan!

What time is the polling actually closing? and is it EST? PT? PDT?

Thanx again :)

March 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm
(24) Megan Romer - World Music says:

Votes close at 11:59:59 PM EST!

March 22, 2012 at 2:25 am
(25) Shane Cormier says:

Looks like Festival International De Louisianne won Best World Festival. Woot Woot. Putting my little town on the map a little more and more.

March 22, 2012 at 6:25 am
(26) pape samba sow says:

i vote for ashley maher

March 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm
(27) Hermann von Stosch says:

What a pity! I can’t vote anymore because today is the 22nd, but it was only today that we in Germany could listen to that emission in which George Colinet asked us to vote for Afropop!
Why is it that our Funkhaus Europa broadcast your emissions so much later than your original broadcast on PRI?
Anyway, we are listening to Afropop Worldwide every week and appreciate it very much. In my eyes it really is the best world music radio broadcast worldwide!
Best wishes from Bremen, Germany,
to George and the whole Afropop team!

April 6, 2012 at 12:55 am
(28) Josh Levin says:

Um, no offense, but isn’t being able to vote more than once kind of bogus?

Unless it’s one vote per user, it’s more of a measure of who votes for themselves the most often than any real measure of reader enthusiasm.

Sorry, but this methodology just doesn’t seem very valid to me…

April 6, 2012 at 1:02 am
(29) Megan says:

Josh, it’s standard issue for web-based contests of this nature to have this kind of voting — one vote per person per day. Online contests are generally designed to generate page views, just as the Oscars are designed to sell TV commercials and newspaper-based “Best Of [Insert City Here]” contests are designed to move newspapers. That’s no secret.

Why is it less a measure of reader enthusiasm than a single-vote contest? A reader can come vote every day for their favorite (and many did). Instead of giving each reader one vote, we gave them 30. I’m not sure that’s any less valid a measure; it’s just a different yardstick.