Best Zydeco or Cajun Music Album
- Le Cowboy Creole - Geno Delafose and French Rockin' Boogie
- King Cake - Lisa Haley
- Live A La Blue Moon - Lost Bayou Ramblers
- Blues de Musicien - Pine Leaf Boys
- Racines - Racines
- The La Louisianne Sessions - Roddie Romero and the Hub City All-Stars
- Live! Worldwide - Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience
I'm going to refrain from commenting on this category, as my boyfriend is in one of the nominated bands, I work for another one, and I'm close friends with several musicians in other ones. The only thing I can say about it is that I'm thrilled that this category exists - it's a new one, and it took a lot of people a lot of time and effort to bring it into existence.
Best Hawaiian Music Album
- Ka Hikina O Ka Hau - Keola Beamer
- Hawaiiana - Tia Carrere
- He'eia - Cyril Pahinui
- Hawaiian Blossom - Raiatea
- Treasures of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
Who Will Win - Tia Carrere, because if she were president, she'd be Baberaham Lincoln. Sorry, I can never resist a Wayne's World reference. Yes, it's that Tia Carrere, and her general name recognition (combined with a surprisingly excellent rootsy album) will likely get her many, many votes.
Who Should Win - Keola Beamer. He's my favorite slack key guitar player, and Ka Hikina O Ka Hau is a beautiful album.
Best Native American Music Album
- Oklahoma Style - Walter Ahhaitty & Friends
- Watch This Dancer! - Black Lodge
- The Ballad of Old Times - Davis Mitchell
- Totemic Flute Chants - Johnny Whitehorse
- Reconnections - R. Carlos Nakai, Cliff Sarde, William Eaton and Randy Wood
Who Will Win - R. Carlos Nakai, William Eaton, et al. It's a supergroup-type lineup (and a great album!), and those tend to be very popular with Grammy voters.
Who Should Win - Black Lodge. They've been nominated several times, but they've never won. A lot of the other albums have gained some popularity outside of the Native American community, but Black Lodge is incredibly influential within that community, and they deserve to be recognized as such.
Best Polka Album
- Polka's Revenge - Brave Combo
- Bulletproof Polkas - John Gora & Gorale
- Polka Freak Out - Bubba Hernandez & Alex Meixner
- Dueling Polkas - Walter Ostenek & His Band and Brian Sklar & the Western Senators
- Come Share the Wine - Jimmy Sturr
Who Will Win - Jimmy Sturr. Jimmy Sturr always wins. He won last year, the year before... in fact, he's one of the top ten most Grammy-ed musicians of all time, mostly because he's won the polka category almost every year since it's existed. He's great and deserves every ounce of accolades that have been bestowed upon him, but I wouldn't want to run against him for anything.
Who Should Win - I have to say, as much as I love Jimmy Sturr, I really love Brave Combo also; they're edgy and cool, and they play polka that's a bit more accessible to people who aren't so crazy about polka.