The Bottom Line
- Playful and fun - perfect for getting into that summer mood
- Only 46 minutes of music... where's the rest?
- No steel drum music!
- A pleasant romp through various Caribbean sounds, both modern and traditional.
- A nice representation of both well-known bands and virtually unkown bands.
- All of the songs are midtempo or upbeat, so it's very danceable!
Guide Review - Putumayo Presents The Caribbean
Effortless transition is really the name of the game here, once again Putumayo has managed to draw together a number of tunes from very different traditions and link them comfortably. Further highlights on the album include ska-son fusion band Ska Cubano's cut "Chango", ska superstars The Skatalites, with "Freedom Sounds" and the steamy soca sounds of Militant's "Hot and Groovy".
Like many Putumayo albums, this collection is very nice but really only a surface-scratcher, and I really wish that it had been just a few songs longer.
January 10, 2006